Cult Favorites That Let Me Down

September 13, 2015


In an {online} world full of product raves and reviews, I think it's pretty helpful from time-to-time to reflect on products that miss the mark. I've compiled a few items from my beauty stash that are cult favorites in the beauty community, yet left me less than impressed. No malice is intended in this post, just my honest opinions and experiences. 

Urban Decay Naked2 Palette
Don't throw your stones! I know the Naked Palettes from Urban Decay are the definition of cult classics, however I would have to respectfully disagree. As a girl who doesn't stray from her signature neutral eye look, this palette is a little overwhelming. I was let down by the fact that this palette is marketed as a neutral-lover's dream, however I found a lot of the shades to be either too dark for my skin or too glittery to be perceived as "natural". Additionally, I found many of the shades to have a significant amount of fallout. Bottom line: not worth $54.00.

It! Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream
Another product that receives rave reviews is the It Cosmetics CC Cream. With claims like "amazing coverage" and "skincare and makeup in one", this product sounds like a dream come true. With that being said, I found this formula to be incredibly thick, making it difficult to apply and the coverage wasn't up to par with expectation. Despite the heaviness of the product, some of my prominent acne scarring still showed through. Finally, I found the shades to be less than accommodating, as "fair" was far too light for my skin, yet "light" was actually pretty dark.

Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation
A second foundation that seems to be a cult favorite is this guy from Estée Lauder. I was slightly disappointed with the coverage this provided, even though it claims to be one of the best flawless-looking foundations. I also noticed that the product would ball up on my skin as the day went on, which is a definite no-go!

Sigma Face Brushes
Sigma has made their mark in the beauty community as a brand that provides high quality brushes at an affordable price for consumers. While I really love my sigma eye brushes, I have harsh feelings regarding my face brushes (i.e. the F40, F10 and F30). Without fail, these brushes shed horrendously, making makeup application rather frustrating. Also, they do not hold their shape as time goes on and tend to lose a great deal of their softness. Even after washing them thoroughly and carefully, these brushes are a huge disappointment. Further, Sigma has increased their prices quite a bit since beginning their business, with most of their face brushes ranging from $25-$38. Save yourself some money and frustration and opt for Real Techniques or EcoTools instead.

Moroccan Oil Light
The final product that has left me less-than-impressed is the ever-popular moroccan oil light hair serum. As someone who has very thick hair, I figured this hair oil would do wonders for me as a nourishing treatment. Instead, this product made my hair greasy and weighed it down, it also did nothing for my tangles. On top of that, I was kind of put off by the smell of the product. In all, I felt that this hair oil did nothing special for my locks and made my "next day" hair harder to manage.

Have you tried any of the products mentioned above? What are your thoughts? And what cult favorites have left you unimpressed?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Pinterest